With user experience at its center, OPPO VOOC Flash Charge technology takes speed, safety, and intelligence to the next level.
Leading global smartphone brand, OPPO, has unveiled its latest achievements following ongoing research and development around its fast charging technology at the 2021 OPPO Flash Charge Open Day “What’s Next for Flash Charging” in China.
Championing the achievements is a new smart charging technology that perfectly balances charging speed, battery life and smartphone safety. By tracking electrical potential across the negative electrode in real-time, the technology can adjust the charging current based on different charging scenarios, therefore optimising power delivery. For instance, if a user is about to board a plane or leave the house, the technology can automatically charge the phone at the fastest speed without impacting the battery life. In the case of 65W SuperVOOC, it can increase the speed by around 20%, enabling a 4500mAh battery to be fully charged in 30 minutes when needed.
The new technology also helps to prolong battery life and overall lifespan of a phone. Even after as many as 1,500 charge cycles, it can maintain the phone’s battery capacity to 80% of its original, out-of-box capacity. Further, when it recognises the phone is charging overnight, it will automatically switch to “relax” mode, helping to extend battery life without compromising the charging speed.
Last but not least, the technology introduces smart temperature control. This means the phone can intelligently find the best balance between charging speed and charging temperature, providing users with a comfortable and secure experience in simultaneously charging and using their phone.
Speaking of the new smart charging technology, Managing Director of OPPO Australia Michael Tran believes users can expect an intelligently optimised and personalised charging experience once the technology is commercially available.
“OPPO has always been a global pioneer in fast charging and smart charging technology, with our latest innovations showing a combination of this expertise and our understanding of consumers’ mindset and expectations.”
Safety remains at the core
In addition to the new smart charging technology, OPPO has also introduced a five-fold safety protection system to improve safety in VOOC Flash Charge technology. OPPO has also been exploring the potential of using new materials, AI algorithms and charging architectures to deliver further innovations:
● Fuse with lower impedance: the fuse contained in the Flash Charge five-fold safety protection system is able to immediately blow in the case of an electric current overload or other abnormality, protecting the battery by physically isolating it from the electricity supply. The upgraded fuse design has lower internal resistance and improved performance, helping to further improve the safety of the charging system.
● Gallium Nitride (GaN) Switches: OPPO has made use of GaN switches on its smartphones for the first time. These switches are not only able to achieve the same functionality as traditional silicon MOSFET switches over a smaller area, therefore reducing the space required, but their low impedance and high voltage operation helps to reduce heat generation, improve charging efficiency and reliability.
● Internal series bi-cell design: a series bi-cell battery design allows the same power to be delivered while lowering the electrical current and reducing heat generation. The internal series bi-cell design takes this concept a step further by combining these dual battery cells in the same structure, therefore taking up less space while still delivering the same safety performance. The new design allows for at least a 5% increase in battery capacity for the same size battery.
● Battery Safety Detection Chip: OPPO’s proprietary Battery Safety Detection Chip with embedded AI algorithms is able to detect if batteries have suffered from external damage by recognizing voltage drops in real-time based on a range of scenarios and act accordingly. If the voltage drop is deemed to have been caused by damage to the battery, the phone will warn the user and initiate additional safety measures to prevent further hazards.
● Composite Current Collector: OPPO has developed a Composite Structure Safety Battery featuring an all-new composite current collector. The battery uses a new composite material sandwiched between two aluminum layers to replace the typical aluminum-only design found in other batteries. This “sandwich” structure is further coated with an additional protective material to make up the five-layer composite current collector structure. It improves the safety of the battery by protecting it from short circuits caused by external damage. Testing in the OPPO Lab shows that, without compromising on performance, the new battery passes puncture and collision tests with a 100% success rate.
Extreme charging for the coldest environments
In addition to making VOOC Flash Charge as smart and safe as possible, OPPO has also been exploring ways to optimise fast charge technology under more extreme situations. For example, it can be difficult to charge a lithium-ion battery in very cold environments, where forcing the battery to charge may even cause it to short circuit. OPPO’s ultra-low temperature charging solution uses smart algorithms to determine the optimal charging temperature of the battery and increase the temperature before charging begins. Test results show that the battery is capable of increasing in temperature from -20℃ to 10℃ in just tens of seconds, allowing the battery to be charged normally.
From the introduction of VOOC Flash Charge in 2014, safety, efficiency, and ease-of-use have been three of the core areas that contribute to OPPO’s R&D into battery and charging technology. As of June 30, 2021, OPPO has already applied for over 3,000 patents related to fast charge technology; and through over 30 devices that support VOOC Flash Charge technology, OPPO has brought this fast, convenient, and safe charging experience to more than 195 million people worldwide.
In 2021, OPPO launched its new project - The Flash Initiative – bringing its proprietary VOOC technology to automobiles, public spaces, and chips inside a wide variety of devices. In the era of the Internet of Experience, OPPO’s Flash Charge technology is evolving to bring users a new generation charging experience designed to excel in any situation, allowing people to charge any device, anytime, anywhere.